This roasted carrot and hazelnut tart tart is easy to make and stunning. It uses puff pastry, green pesto & carrots, topped by feta & hazelnuts.
Roasting does such good things to flavours. It condenses and concentrates and that’s very much the case in this roasted carrot and hazelnut tart. The carrots ribbons become sweet and full of flavour; the pastry rich and flaky and crunchy around the tart. The pesto and feta bring guts and depth of flavour. The chopped hazelnuts offer their subtle flavour along with great texture. The chopped gives another splash of colour.
Dave and I enjoy eating half the tart in this recipe and then finish it later in the week – it reheats really well. I serve it with a green salad; Dave likes a jacket potato as well.
This roasted carrot and hazelnut tart speaks to me of spring. I think it is the bright orange colour with the green and the flakes of white feta. It doesn’t feel right in the dull grey of winter but Spring is officially here now – although you wouldn’t have known it from the thick snow we had on Tuesday, actually the first day of Spring. I drew back the curtains hoping for a sunny day but outside was a white snowy scene. Of course, JP was desperate to be outside when he saw the garden and after a quick breakfast, he jumped into his snow suit and we headed downstairs. We were running late to get to Grannie and Grandpa’s but he was very keen to build a ball of snow to take on the journey over and he was then mortified when we reached their house 15 minutes later and the snow had disappeared. But we picked up another few handfuls, headed upstairs and his gramps we’re only too delighted to receive JP’s snow in their flat!
Unfortunately for JP, the snowy landscape soon cleared to be replaced by howling winds and rain which have been with us on and off for the rest of the week. But the daffodils are out with their bright trumpet yellow faces and this tart is my way of reaffirming that Spring is very much with us, even if the weather suggests otherwise.
Roasted carrot and hazelnut tart
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 4 - 6
- 660g/1lb7oz or 5 carrots, topped, tailed and peeled
- 1½ tbsp honey
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1/8 tsp salt and freshly ground pepper
- 375g/13oz ready made pre-rolled puff pastry, unrolled and lying on the baking paper it came with
- 3 tbsp pesto
- 100g/3½oz feta, crumbled
- 35g/1¼oz chopped roasted hazelnuts
- a small handful of coriander, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200 C/180 C fan/ 400 F/ Gas mark 6.
- Peel the carrots into ribbons with a vegetable peeler. Put the carrots into a steamer and steam for 3 minutes or until tender. Turn the carrots over half way through so that they all cook evenly. Once cooked put into a large bowl and add the honey, oil, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Cut a 1 cm strip off each side of the pastry and lay on top of the remaining edge so forming a ridge. Cover the base of the tart with the pesto. Top with the carrots but leave any liquid in the bowl, and keep. Scatter the feta and hazelnuts over the carrots. Put the tart in the oven for 30 minutes until lightly browned.
- Drizzle over some of the oil and honey mixture that the carrots were mixed in. Scatter with the chopped coriander and serve.
- Carbohydrates: 40g per 1/4