This mackerel, coriander and lime linguine mixes salty and delicious mackerel, with the punchy coriander and lime, and creamy crème fraîche.
One night last week I was thinking of the many ingredients some of my recipes have. A tablespoon of this, a half bunch of that, 100 g of finely chopped other. I enjoy ticking everything off on my list as I go round the shops knowing that when I reach home I will have all the components I need to start cooking. However, sometimes I can’t find what I need in my local shops, so the meal is put on hold while I search online to find a local stockiest for the illusive ingredient.
When the rest of life is busy these many ingredients and accompanying lists can be overwhelming. It leaves me feeling like sacking it in and looking for something much simpler. There are times when want a meal in minutes; something good to eat which only has four or five ingredients. Those ingredients need to be easily found and they need to give a lot to the dish. This simple pasta dish is one of those meals.
The dish has linguine, hot smoked mackerel, coriander, lime and crème fraîche. This meal could take fifteen minutes to prepare if you want to take your time over it. I have also made it with 500 g of fresh gnocchi instead of the linguine which works well. Using half fat crème fraîche doesn’t seem to compromise the dish, if you want a lower fat option.Print
Mackerel, coriander and lime linguine
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 2
- 200 g / 7 oz linguine
- 3 fillets of smoked mackerel
- ½ tbsp oil
- 100 g / 3½ oz bunch of coriander
- 1 lime
- 150 ml / 5 fl oz crème fraîche
- 12 g / ½ oz butter
- salt and pepper
- Cook the linguine according to the instructions on the packet.
- Take the skin of the mackerel and break it up into large chunks.
- Heat ½ tbsp of oil in a frying pan and add the mackerel. You are only making it hot, as it’s already cooked.
- Roughly chop the coriander leaves, discarding the stalks, and add to the mackerel.
- Zest the whole lime and then squeeze the juice from half of it, add that to the mackerel.
- Add the crème fraîche and stir until everything is hot. Taste and season, it will need lots of black pepper but be careful with the salt as the mackerel is salty.
- Once the pasta is drained mix in the butter and then serve with the mackerel on top.
- Carbohydrates: 68g