My Beijing chicken, is served in tortilla wraps with spring onions and cucumber. It takes 15 mins to prepare and is sure to be a winner with the whole family.
It’s based on the BBC Good Food Chinese Chicken recipe but I changed the Chinese pancakes for tortillas wraps to make a more substantial meal. I love that this meal doesn’t contain potatoes or rice as we eat a lot of both and it’s good to have a change. JP also enjoys wraps which is helpful. Beijing duck takes hours to make and has many stages. This Beijing chicken takes 15 minutes preparation and the oven does the rest.
You can use chicken thighs or a mixture of thighs and drumsticks. It’s easy to scale this Beijing chicken up if you are feeding a large crowd. I work on a thigh and drumstick or two thighs per person. The glaze is a mixture of hoisin sauce, plum sauce, honey and rice wine vinegar. You could substitute the plum sauce for more honey and use white wine vinegar if you can’t find rice wine vinegar. The BBC suggest you need more hoisin sauce to serve but I find this too much. Instead, I’ve put an extra tablespoon of hoisin sauce in the glaze. The chicken skin becomes black in places which may look concerning but is just what’s needed.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 4
- 8 chicken thighs or 4 thighs and 4 drumsticks
- 6 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp plum sauce or honey
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar or white wine vinegar
- a pinch of salt
- 6 spring onions, cut into thin strips 5cm/2” long
- ½ cucumber, cut into thin strips 5cm/2” long
- 8 tortilla wraps
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/400F/Gas mark 6. Put the chicken skin-side up in an ovenproof dish. Mix the hoisin and plum sauces, honey, vinegar and salt together in a small bowl. Paint half of this glaze onto the chicken and put in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Paint the remaining glaze onto the chicken and return to the oven for a second 25 minutes. 5 minutes before the chicken is finished, wrap the tortillas in foil and place in the oven. Once the chicken is cooked (it will look black!), shred meat and skin together with two forks. Remove the tortillas from the oven and fill with chicken, spring onions and cucumber. Wrap and enjoy.