This sweet potato, cherry tomato and coconut soup is comforting and creamy. The tang of the tomato compliments the creaminess of the sweet potato & coconut.
I’m not going to lie that this past week has been pretty miserable. JP got a temperature over the weekend, Dave then got a horrible cold. I thought I was doing well until I did a return trip to London in a day for work and ended up with a cold of my own. Dave was ill at home in bed, I was shivering at my desk in our sitting room trying to work. We made a fine pair. I am happy to say goodbye to this week.
I’m not ill very often and as a result it surprises me how miserable life is when I don’t feel well. We have had some lovely frosty mornings this week which normally I would enjoy as I take JP down to nursery, but this week they just feel like another thing to deal with. Right now I just want some warmth and for things to feel easy.
This soup hits that spot. It is comforting. It doesn’t demand too much of the cook or the consumer, it just gives.
The tang of the roasted cherry tomatoes cut through the creaminess of the sweet potato and coconut. It’s a thick soup which I like, but if you prefer something thinner, just add some more stock and or water. Or you could use coconut milk rather than creamed coconut, which will give a thinner soup.
In my local supermarket I can buy a mixed packed of roasted sunflower and pumpkin seeds, so this mixture is less complicated than it sounds. But the seeds and the are optional, I like the colour, flavour and texture they bring, but it’s still a good soup with out them.
Sweet potato, cherry tomato and coconut soup
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 - 6
- 650g cherry tomatoes
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 750g sweet potato, peeled and cut into 2.5cm/1” cubes
- 50g ginger, peeled and finely diced or grated
- 3 tbsp oil
- 200ml hot water
- 500ml chicken stock
- 200g creamed coconut, grated
- salt and pepper
to serve – optional
- fresh coriander, chopped
- roasted sunflower and pumpkin seeds
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C/390°F/Gas mark 6. Put the cherry tomatoes in a roasting tin with 1 tbsp oil drizzled over them and a sprinkling of salt. Put the tomatoes in the oven.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large saucepan and when hot add the onion, stir well and put the lid on. Sweat for 3 minutes and then add the sweet potato and ginger. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the hot water, stock and grated creamed coconut and bring to the boil. When the sweet potato is tender or after 25 minutes roasting in the oven takes the cherry tomatoes out and add them to the soup. Stir well and cook for another minute or two. Then turn the heat off.
- Using a stick blender blend the soup to your preferred consistency. Check the season and adjust to your palate. Serve with coriander and seeds.