This pear and summer fruits crumble is packed full of pear and stunning frozen summer berries. It’s topped with an oaty, buttery crumble.
Crumble and bread and butter puddings were the desserts I grew up on. There were others such as meringues at big family events or fools whenever we went to my grandma’s, but it was likely to be crumble or bread and butter pudding at home. I’ve shared two bread and butter pudding recipes here and here. I was astonished when I realised I haven’t already posted a crumble on Holly Cooks. So here is my first crumble recipe. It will be the first of many.
Here too is my first little video. Enjoy!
Just in case you want to study those images in detail here they are again!
I’ve kept this crumble super simple. There is no need to pre cook the pear, instead just cut into small chunks. The summer fruits come straight from the freezer and are added while still frozen. You don’t actually need oats in the topping, but I like the texture they bring. The demerara sugar adds it’s crunch and gentle molasses flavour. The topping can be made by hand or in your food processor, whichever you find easier. This pear and summer fruit crumble cooks in 30 minutes and is perfect served with cream, ice cream, custard or yoghurt. Left over crumble is a treat and should last for at least four days in the fridge.
Pear and summer fruits crumble
The topping itself can be frozen for future use. Also the complete cooked crumble freezes well. To serve, defrost it and then heat in the oven at 180C for 30 minutes covered in foil for the first 20 minutes.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4-6
- 600g/1lb5oz conference pears, peeled, cored and cut into 1cm/⅓” chunks
- 200g/7oz frozen summer berries
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 110g/4oz plain flour
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 55g/2oz oats, any type you like
- 85g/3oz butter
- 55g/2oz demerara sugar
Oven proof dish – I use an oval dish measuring 24cm/9½” x 17cm/7” x 6cm/2½”
Serves 4 – 6
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/400F/Gas mark 6. Put the pears, summer fruits and caster sugar into the ovenproof dish and mix.
- In a separate bowl, or food processor, combine the flour and mixed spice. Rub in the butter or pulse with your processor, until the mixture is crumbly.
- Stir in the oats and 40g/1½oz sugar and then pour on top of the fruit. Scatter the remaining sugar on top of the crumble.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Serve.