Polenta is delicious! Who knew? Not me! I can’t remember why I decided to experiment with it, possibly I had seen a cake recipe? The recipe below is now a firm favourite, it’s a great accompaniment to, mushroom and tomato or any other chunky ragu. But we have also had it with cold meats and a salad. It’s tasty and can be ready to eat in under 8 minutes.
Simmering the polenta for one minute gives a sloppy texture which I like, if you prefer it a little firmer simmer for two minutes.
200 g / 7 oz quick cook polenta
800 ml / 24 fl oz water
8 sun dried tomatoes
140 g / 5 oz strong cheddar cheese
50 g / 2 oz pumpkin seeds
salt and pepper
Total carbohydrate per portion – 32g
1. Chop up the tomatoes and grate the cheese.
2. Bring the water to boil in a large saucepan. Pour in the polenta in a continuous stream stirring all the time with a large whisk or wooden spoon.
3. Bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer for one minute.
4. Add in the tomato, the cheese and the seeds, stir well.
5. Season to taste and serve.