A recipe for chocolate, pecan and just to be properly decadent chocolate and pecan meringue. These are super easy French meringue and are so so good.
I’ve explored the differences between Italian, French and Swiss meringue, and which should be used when. After researching and trying lots of different flavour combinations I came up with chocolate meringue and pecan ones and then combine these two flavours to create chocolate and pecan meringue. They are all French meringue.
Chocolate, pecan and chocolate and pecan French meringue
The egg whites and sugar when mixed together in this recipe will weigh about 298 g / 10 ½ oz. So when you separate them into three, you are looking for just under 100 g / 3 ½ oz in each bowl.
3 large egg whites
6 oz / 150 g caster sugar
1 tbsp cocoa
2 oz / 50 g pecans
Makes 21 meringue the size of half a tennis ball
Total carbohydrate per meringue – 7 g
1. Preheat the oven to 150°C / 130°C fan / 300°F / gas mark 2.
2. Line three baking sheets with greaseproof paper and lightly oil the paper.
3. Finely chop the pecans.
4. Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks and don’t fall out of the bowl if you turn it upside down.
5. Add in 1/3 of the sugar and whisk well to make a shiny glossy mixture. Add in another 1/3 of sugar and whisk well again, before adding and whisking in the remaining sugar.
6. Separate the egg white mixture into three separate bowls.
7. To one bowl add ½ tbsp cocoa for the chocolate meringue. To the second bowl add 1 oz / 25 g of pecans for the pecan meringue. To the final bowl add ½ tbsp cocoa and the remaining pecans.
8. Stir to combine the cocoa and pecans a little or completely depending on the final look you want to create.
9. Spoon a tablespoon at a time of the mixture onto the baking sheet.
10. Place in the oven and immediately reduce the oven temperature to 140°C / 120°C / 285°F / gas mark 1.
11. After 35 minutes turn the oven off and leave the meringues inside until it is completely cool, ideally overnight.
12. Take the meringues out of the oven and carefully remove from the greaseproof paper. Store in an air tight container until you are ready to serve.