This apple, walnut and candid peel tart is a great tasting rustic tart which is easy to prepare. If you make your own pastry, as I do, it will take about 35 minutes to prepare or you can reduce that time by buying 150g of ready made shortcrust pastry. The candid peel, walnuts and honey combine to give sweetness and texture that set off the apple and make the whole tart irresistible. It is ideal served with vanilla ice-cream, although Dave seemed to think that ice cream AND custard was a better idea.
Apple, walnut and candid peel tart
I like to keep the finished shape of the pastry rough – but if you prefer a neater look you can cut a neat edge around the pastry before baking. Gala, cox or any eating apples work well for this tart. Cooking or Bramley apples wouldn’t be sweet enough.
- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 6
- 100g/3½oz plain white flour
- 50g/2oz butter, cubed
- Water, cold
- 3 eating apples, peeled and chopped into 1cm/ 1/3” cubes
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 100g/3½oz walnuts, roughly chopped
- 100g/3½oz candid peel
- 100g/3½oz honey, gently heated
Ice cream, cream, custard or yoghurt to serve
Large baking sheet
- To make your own pastry, put the flour and cubed butter into a large mixing bowl. Rub the butter into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add a tablespoon or two of the cold water and briefly mix to help the pastry come together into a lump (you may need to add a little more water). Wrap the lump of pastry in cling film and chill in the fridge for 30-minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/ 395°F/gas mark 6. In a bowl mix the apple, sugar, ground cinnamon, walnuts and candid peel.
- Prepare a work surface with a light dusting of flour, place your cooled pastry in the middle and roll out into a large circle of 3mm/1/8″ thickness so it measures roughly 30cm/12” x 30cm/12”. Place the pastry onto a large baking sheet.
- Roughly scatter the apple mixture on top of the pastry, leaving about a 1cm/½” border around the edge. Put the tart into the oven for 25 minutes.
- Drizzle the warmed honey over all of the tart and place back in the oven for a further 10-15 minutes.
- The tart is ready when lightly browned in places on top.
- Carbohydrates: 47g